Ball mill is important grinding equipment in the beneficiation plant, used for grinding ores to powders before they are magnetically or chemically processed.
How Many Types of Ball Mill? There are many manufacturers producing ball mills on the market, how to choose the right one suits for your production? Here are a quick introduction and classification of ball mills for your reference.
Cylinder shape (L/D)
1. Short-cylinder ball mill: The length (L) of the cylinder is less than twice the diameter (D) of the cylinder, that is, the ball mill with L ≤ 2D is a short-cylinder ball mill. Single-bin structure ball mill, which is mainly used for coarse grinding or primary grinding, has high efficiency.
2. Medium-long cylinder ball mill, that is L = 3D.
3. Long barrel mill: L≥4D, usually have 2-4 bins.
The specific configuration of the ball mill should according to the output and working conditions.
1. Ball milling loaded with steel balls, it has a high grinding force and stable speed.
2. Rod mills usually equipped with steel rod which diameter mostly between 50-100mm, need a longer grinding time. The number of bins in a rod mill is generally two to four, and there are some differences in the grinding media loaded in each bin. To ensure the final effect of grinding, the staff will place the cylindrical steel rod in the first bin, and the steel ball or steel segment in several other bins.
3. The grinding media in the gravel mill mainly include pebbles, gravel, sandstone, ceramic balls, etc. Gravel mills mostly use porcelain or granite as lining boards, and are widely used in the production fields of cement, ceramics and so on.
1. Overflow type: discharge ore through the hollow shaft. When the ore discharge surface is higher than the slurry surface, the finished product is discharged and the ore is automatically discharged by gravity, thus the overflow ball mill saves energy.
2. Grate discharge ball mill: the ore is discharged through the grate plate. The grating part can strictly control the minerals’ discharge size that meets the demand, it has a good effect on fine particle grinding.
3. Peripheral type: discharge ore through the periphery of the cylinder.
1. The continuous grinding ball mill can run continuously for 24 hours with higher output.
2. The intermittent ball mill can not continuous operation, at the same specification, its output is lower. The feeding and discharging time is set according to the characteristics of the grinding material. The intermittent ball mill is suitable for the mixing and grinding of materials, lower power consumption. Many ball mill has been transformed into continuous, so users do not have to worry about the production output problem.
1. Central transmission ball mill: The driving power of this type of mill is in the center of the fuselage, and the motor realizes the operation of the ball mill through a reducer. During operation, the hollow shaft in the center of the ball mill drives the grinding body to rotate under the drive of the power system.
2. Edge transmission ball mill: The motor drives the gear on the edge of the barrel through the reducer to drive the barrel.
Ball mill grinding conditions
1. Wet ball mill: Water is added at the same time as the material is fed, and the material is discharged into a certain concentration of slurry and discharged. In a closed-circuit system, it is composed of a closed-circuit operation with a hydraulic classification device.
2. Dry ball mill: Some discharges are drawn by air current, and the mill and wind classification device form a closed circuit. For example, the cement mill adopts self-flow discharge.
The capacity of the dry ball mill is larger, and the energy-saving effect of wet ball mill is better.
How to select a ball mill?
1. According to the working conditions and material characteristic
Minerals that cannot be touched with water, minerals that are sticky after adding water, and the mining plant in areas where water resources are scarce, are suitable for grinding with a dry ball mill. Under other conditions, it is better to use a wet ball mill which has a better grinding effect, and energy-saving performance.
2. Energy consumption
Choose an energy-saving ball mill or ordinary ball mill according to the capacity of electric power supply and energy consumption limitation.
If you require high capacity, choose a continuous ball mill. The vibrating feeder can automatically feed, so the continuous ball mill can keep running for 24 hours.
JXSC provides you free selection service, engineers online!